The U's expanded paper recycling program was launched July1, 2007. By now, all employees should have received a small blue recycling basket. Larger blue bins have been placed in areas where higher volumes of paper are generated. The largest (blue street totes) are 65-gallon rolling bins used by the custodial staff to consolidate the paper and set it curbside for pickup and delivery to the recycler. All these blue bins are for recycling paper only-no cardboard, plastic, Styrofoam, food containers, aluminum, glass, etc.
Since its launch, program has continued to grow and refine its procedures to better accommodate a growing campus' needs. We currently have programs in place for paper, cardboard, aluminum, batteries, printer cartridges, wooden pallets and plastics #1 and #2. Please refer to Where Can I Recycle to find out where you can take your recyclable goods, or contact our office at 801-581-5173 to talk to the recycling coordinator.
Where Can I Recycle?
- Building lists for recycling, plastic recycling, and aluminum bin locations.
University Recycling Program
- Fall 2007 marked the kick-off for the University's centralized recycling system. This system is designed to service the entire campus. The goal is to capture the greatest amount of recyclables we produce, which translates to an emphasis on paper.
- How does the recycling program work? What is the difference between Office Pack and Mixed Paper?
- E-waste is commonly considered to be old or discarded telecommunications, data processing, and entertainment equipment that runs on electricity and contains electronic circuitry. If handled improperly, discarded electronics can cause serious environmental and human health problems.
- This is a national collegiate recycling competition that takes place every spring.
What Goes Around, Comes Around
- The Office of Sustainability has partnered with Housing and Residential Education, Facility Operations Recycling and Metech Recycling to establish an annual event to effectively reuse &recycle unwanted items during the Spring Move-Out week in the residence halls.