Electronic Waste

What is e-waste?

There is no universally accepted definition of electronic waste, or e-waste. It is commonly considered to be old or discarded telecommunications, data processing, and entertainment equipment that runs on electricity and contains electronic circuitry.

You can read more about it at the following site: Wikipedia Electronic Waste entry

Why is e-waste an Issue?

Technology changes rapidly, leading to rapid obsolence. The availability and relative affordability of electronics means that users - from large university departments to individual staff, faculty, and students - buy or replace equipment frequently. As vital as they may be to modern life and work, most items contain hazardous materials. If handled improperly, discarded electronics can cause serious environmental and human health problems. To learn more about the current trade in global e-waste and its consequences, visit the Basel Action Network website or do your own research.

University-owned electronics and e-waste

In order to have access to campus services, any electronics items must be the property of a campus department, affiliated facility, or business unit. For example, if you wish to properly recycle a computer, it must be departmental property in order to be handled through campus disposal channels.

Computers, printers, larger items:
Contact Surplus and Salvage
phone number: (801) 581-7917

Household Electronics and e-waste

Personal property, also known as household e-waste, is your responsibility. Please dispose of it responsibly! The list of processors below does not necessarily indicate endorsement by our office and you should do your own research to assure that e-waste will be handled in a socially and environmentally responsible manner. If your computer or electronics equipment is still in good working condition, consider donating it to a reputable charity rather than recycling it. Note that many second-hand charities do not accept computers, or only do so on a limited basis. Please check with the charity of your choice before you go to drop of your items.

Salt Lake City and County sponsor other periodic electronics collection events during the year. You can learn more about this program at this website.

Reusable Computers:
Computers for Kids
phone (801) 569-9577

Certified E-Steward Recycling Companies in Utah:
Guaranteed Recycling Experts
phone: (801) 386-2533

Hazardous materials - University Property

University-owned items that contain potentially hazardous materials are generally handled by the Environmental Health and Safety Department.

Batteries and cell phones

It is a good idea to collect a container full of small items, such as batteries, before requesting a pick up so that the quantity makes it worth the trip.

Contact Environmental Health and Safety.
Submit a form here
phone number: 801.581.6590

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

University facilities staff assure that all fluorescent bulbs removed from building fixtures are disposed of properly.

Hazardous materials- Personal Property

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs

At your nearest library:

  • Main Library- 210 East, 400 South
  • Anderson Foothill- 1135 South, 2100 East
  • Chapman- 577 South, 900 West
  • Sprague- 2131 South, 1100 East
  • Day Riverside- 1575 West, 100 North
  • Sweet- 455 F Street in the Avenues

Bulbs are also accepted in Salt Lake City at the City-County Building.

Hazardous Waste

Salt Lake Valley Solid Waste Management Facility

6030 West California Avenue, 1300 South. SLC UT 84104
Open Monday- Saturday Hours 8 am- 4:30 pm. Phone: (801) 974-6920. Website

Murray Public Works A.B.O.P

4646 South, 500 West. Accepts only antifreeze, batteries, oil, and paint.
Open Monday-Friday 7 am-3 pm. Website

Unusual Items

Compact Discs

There is no in-state recycling facility for compact discs. However, you may send them to:

The Compact Disc Recycling Center of America
68H Stiles Road
Salem, NH 03079

Contact Info

Joshua James

  • Recycling Coordinator
  • office: 801-581-5173
  • Send email

Related Information