How CF&R Funds are Used
The Capital Facilities & Remodeling funds are allocated annually for general departmental, research, accessibility, remodels, etc. Funding is used to assist colleges and departments to meet physical environmental changes in their programmatic needs.
See the CF&R Request Form and Instructions for procedures to ensure your remodeling request is processed and received by the
Capital Facilities & Remodeling Committee.
Requests are submitted in one of two categories: General Remodeling and Research and may accommodate new or modified programmatic use. General Remodeling projects are funded up to $150,000 and Research projects are funded up to $250,000. Requests do not carry over from one year to the next and must be resubmitted each year for which funding is sought. Research projects should not be submitted for FY2015-16 as this category is not currently funded.
Beginning with FY2014-15 requests, departments are required to commit matching funds in order for their requests to be considered. Recognizing the broad variability in the ability of various departments to provide matching funds, a minimum match threshold has not been established. The CF&R Committee will consider the amount of match offered in light of the capacity of departments to provide matching funds. Matching funds may be committed at the department, college, and/or VP level.
This process takes several months to be completed. Projects must be submitted through the cognizant Vice President to the CF&R Committee per the schedule. Funding allocations approved in May will be available at the beginning of the following fiscal year. After the Committee has approved funding allocations, you will be notified regarding whether your request has been funded. Matching funds must be transferred to Facilities Management before the project may proceed.
Projects selected are based on, but not limited to
- Mission critical to the institution/college/department
- Importance placed by the cognizant Vice President
- Cost Benefit
- Department financial contribution
- Funding, if all other sources at the University have been exhausted
- Number of years on the CF&R list
CF&R money does not fund the following
- Construction of new space
- Furniture and/or equipment (except that cubicle walls and work surfaces may be funded if other remodeling is being done and the modular furniture replaces the need for constructed walls.)
- Routine maintenance/cosmetic changes (paint, carpet, etc.)
- Security card access and/or alarm systems
- Self-supporting entities
- Utility infrastructure