- Individuals wishing to have a key or keys issued to them shall complete an Application for Keys form. The form must be signed by the applicant and the cognizant approving officer or designee, and sent to Facility Operations’ Building Access. To verify the authorized approver for your department contact Building Access.
- Building Access will maintain a file of “Authorized Signatures for Keys” to be used as a basis for key issuance. Keys will be issued only after the signatures on applications for keys have been verified as to authenticity.
- Building Access will notify departments when keys are ready to be picked up, normally within 24 hours after receipt of the application.
- When keys are picked up a copy of the application form will be given to the requesting department for its files.
- You will be required to show your University ID for all key pick ups.
[bs_citem title=”Roof Access Keys” id=”citem_d428-d0d7″ parent=”collapse_d4e5-e939″]
Departments requesting to grant access to departmental employees:
- Print all necessary forms.
- Designate a responsible person or persons to maintain roof access information.
- Fill out all documents completely.
- Return the signed original Roof Access Application and Damage Agreement to Facility Operations Carpenter Shop, University Services Building (Bldg.350), Rm.275.
- All departmental employees requesting roof access must have a valid reason (as determined by your department). They must complete and submit an Waiver of Liability (University employees who access roofs as part of their University employment need not sign the Waiver of Liability) and a Rules for Access to University Roofs signature agreements. These documents must be kept in the Departmental Roof Access Key packet.
- These individuals will then be placed on the List of approved personnel and will be able to check out the roof key at the discretion of the department. The key checkout list is to be used each time a key is requested. Individuals must not share the key without going through the checkout procedure.
- The person or persons responsible for the Departmental Roof Access Key packet must keep all records current and provide access to the packet, upon request, to Facility Operations Carpenter Shop.
- Stress safety to all personnel who apply for access. Roof safety is the responsibility of the requesting department and any individuals granted access by that department. Personal fall protection equipment and proper training is the responsibility of the department. Proper use of this equipment and adherence to OSHA rules governing roof safety is the responsibility of the individual. The need to follow OSHA rules and proper usage of fall protection equipment and procedures cannot be overstated. Any violations could result in serious injury or death as well as fines from OSHA and the loss of roof access privileges.
- Beginning January1, 2010, after final approval, all individuals requesting a roof access key must view the Fall Protection safety video in the Facility Operations’ training room located in the University Services Building (bldg350) prior to picking up the roof access key. Please call 801-585-6855 to schedule an appointment. The video is approximately 30minutes.
Individuals Requesting to Obtain a Roof Key:
- Print all necessary forms.
- Read, understand and fill out the documents completely. (University employees who access roofs as part of their University employment need not sign the Waiver of Liability.)
- Return the signed original documents to Facility Operations Carpenter Shop, University Services Building (Bldg.350), Rm.275.
- Include a written statement giving the reason roof access is required as well as start and stop dates for your project.
- Make arrangements to obtain fall protection and the appropriate training through your department.
- Make certain all safety measures have been taken. Roof safety is the responsibility of your department and the individual granted an access key. Personal fall protection equipment and proper training are the responsibility of the department. Proper use of this equipment and adherence to OSHA rules governing roof safety are the responsibility of the individual. The need to follow OSHA rules and proper use of fall protection equipment and procedures cannot be overstated. Any violations could result in serious injury or death as well as fines from OSHA and the loss of roof access privileges.
- Beginning January1, 2010, after final approval, all individuals requesting a roof access key must view the Fall Protection safety video in the Facility Operations’ training room located in the University Services Building (bldg350) prior to picking up the roof access key. Please call 801-585-6855 to schedule an appointment. The video is approximately 30 minutes.
Lost Roof Key / Documentation and Re-issue
Everyone requesting access to campus roofs must be aware that safety and security are a top priority for all campus roofs. The best way to ensure that security is to keep unauthorized people off the roofs. The only way we can accomplish this is to maintain control of all roof keys.
The roofing department has collaborated extensively with Building Access, Risk Management and General Counsel to develop an avenue by which University personnel may access our roofs for approved University business while maintaining security.
When any department or individual checks out a roof key they become a critical link in that process and must accept their portion of responsibility for maintaining our first line of defense, which is access.
Access to campus roofs is strictly limited to individuals with a legitimate reason for being there, (as determined by the Plant Operation roofing department). Whenever a key is lost or stolen we have essentially lost control of that roof and steps must be taken to regain control of the roof and insure that no unauthorized personnel have access to it.
In the event a roof key is lost or stolen the individual responsible for that key must immediately report the loss to Building Access. If the key cannot be located the locks will be rekeyed at the expense of the department responsible for the lost key. Keys will then be re-issued through the regular channels provided by Building Access, a roof access packet must be re-submitted with department head signatures for anyone requiring continued roof access.
You must remember that a roof access key is much more than just a key. The cost of a key is insignificant compared to the responsibility that accompanies possession of that key.
Tips for roof security and continued access:
- Never loan a roof key
- Never leave a roof access door unlocked
- Never grant someone else access with your key
- Keep your key locked up or on your person at all times
- Report loss or theft of a roof key immediately
[bs_citem title=”Broken/Bent Key Replacement” id=”citem_3be7-8e80″ parent=”collapse_d4e5-e939″]
- Please bring the broken/bent key into the office (USB 250) and it will be replaced.
- If a key has been lost, please notify Campus Building Access.
- If a lost key is later found, it must be returned to Building Access.
[bs_citem title=”Access to Buildings by Outside Contractors” id=”citem_0ba1-3686″ parent=”collapse_d4e5-e939″]
- University Project Manager or Coordinator are responsible for making arrangements with outside contractors requiring building access, and shall coordinate all lock work through Building Access.
[bs_citem title=”Lock Repair and Replacement” id=”citem_b4e7-f280″ parent=”collapse_d4e5-e939″]
- Locks may not be installed, repaired or replaced on any doors without the specific approval of Facility Operations. Departments will be liable for any resultant damage or costs of corrections if unauthorized installations are made.
[bs_notification type=”info” dismissible=”false”]Refer to the University Regulations Library for the official Key Policy.[/bs_notification]
[bs_citem title=”Contact Information & Directions” id=”citem_f583-542e” parent=”collapse_c32e-99cc” open=”true”][bs_row class=”row”]
- Building Access Supervisor
- Office: 801-585-3346
- Office: 801-581-8265
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dispatch: 801-581-7221
See Building Access on the University Campus Map
Delineation of Services
|Key cutting for building, mechanical door locks||Yes||X||X|
|Key cutting for files, desks, lockers, etc.||Yes||X|
|Maintenance, repair, and replacement for building, mechanical door locks||Yes||X|
|Maintenance and repair for file, desk, locker, etc. locks||Yes||X|
|Preventive maintenance of exterior, mechanical door locks||Yes||X|
|Rekeying of mechanical door locks||Yes||X|
|Safe opening, maintenance, or repair||Yes||X|
|Vehicle locks and keys||No||Contact Motor Pool|
|Electronic lock installation, repair, or maintenance||No||Contact Ucard Office|
|Stand alone Electronic lock installation, repair, or maintenance||Yes||X|